Monday, April 25, 2011

The Sweetest Thing

This evening, after Dex was done with his bath, I lifted him out and started to towel dry him while I sat on the toilet. (Yes, it was closed... this isn't a potty story). He proceeded to shrug himself out of the towel so he could just hug my belly. However, that wasn't enough. He lifted my shirt so he could hug my bare belly. His baby brother. After a few moments of quiet peacefulness, he started singing "Happy Birthday." My firstborn was singing "Happy Birthday" to his soon-to-be baby brother.

I couldn't help myself. Tears started.

I know that Declan will be fine. I know that he will be a great big brother, full of kisses and hugs. (And fighting and goading eventually I'm sure... but at first I am predicting mostly kisses.) But it is getting more real to me every day that he won't be my one and only anymore. I feel as though the transition might be harder for me than it is for him.

I'm sure that it will all be perfect, and exactly how it should be. But for now, I am soaking up the last few months with Dex as my sole attention getter. My first.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...