Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Job Hunting

Job hunting is the name of the game these days. My vacation time while my mom was here is over. It's time to knuckle down and find a way to get some income so we can live on our own again. I have applied for countless jobs online and have heard back from three. Then those three dropped off the face of the planet after one email. Even though I replied. So hopefully it is true that now that I'm here it will all become easier. We'll see.

Yesterday I went and dropped off my resume at a couple places. One had me fill out an application in the waiting room while I was surrounded by 18 year olds working at their summer camp. Demeaning for someone who has their master's? A little... but I know that I have to do what I have to do for my son. That includes not being able to take just any job. I have to take a job that will be able to help provide me with childcare for him so that I'm not just working to pay for someone else to watch him.

I got a phone call from one of the places that I dropped off my resume. They were unsure of positions due to staff changes, but wanted to talk to me anyway. At the end of the conversation I mentioned that I had a son who would be needing a place in their toddler program. I don't know if this was a smart move or not. Maybe I should have waited until I at least had a job interview. All I know is that their tune promptly changed to "we'll probably get back to you." Wait, what? Probably get back to me? Meaning... you wouldn't even call me to tell me that you aren't interested or don't have a position available? Gotcha. Awesome.

Anyway... Logan had his job interview today so hopefully he'll be in a better place about all this than I am. I know I'm smart, and could excel in a lot of jobs if given the chance. It's the getting a chance part that is making me want to crawl right back under the covers and give up. Oh well... on to fight the good fight again I guess.

1 comment:

  1. I started my current job as a "temp". Once my foot was in the door and they saw my ability, work ethic, humor and intelligence, they CREATED a position to keep me. I had to start humbly and let go of the outcome.

    I am still there 5 years later.

    - Marybeth

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...