Saturday, September 18, 2010

Conveyor Belt

*Written yesterday, but due to lack of internet... posted a day late


So I had a job interview today. I applied online yesterday and got a call later that afternoon. They wanted to meet with me today, so I figured that they were pretty interested. I got myself pumped up and knew that even though it was only a part-time assistant job at a Montessori school, I had it. I know what I’m doing and I know what I’m talking about. I have pretty much ate, slept and breathed toddlers for the last three years.


I get to the interview a few minutes early, get sat down in the office and told that they would be with me in ten minutes. OK. When one of the women gets into the room she puts down a stack of paper with my resume on top. This is a physical representation of all the people I am up against. Not only that, but they had scheduled another interview for the exact same time as me. They sat her down in another room, chatted about their school and barely asked me any questions. After talking to me for about five minutes, the first woman (who had left) came back and asked the other woman if she was done with me. When I mentioned I had a son, I immediately knew it was the kiss of death. I was told there was no room for him, and it didn’t really seem as though there was urgency about getting back to me.

It’s frustrating knowing that I have experience, I have education, and I still get shut down for jobs. I felt as though I was just one of many put onto a conveyor belt. They were waiting for the right one to pass by them to give the green light to. Employers have the complete upper hand. I want to work hard. I want to be challenged. I would just like the opportunity to get paid for it instead of spending my entire work time just job hunting with no results.

On the other hand, I found a pair of overalls for Declan today. He looked super cute and I am constantly amazed at how he becomes more of a little person every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...